Coptis, also called Golden Thread or Canker Root, is considered one of the 50 Fundamental Herbs in Traditional Chinese Medicine.
There are other species of coptis (Coptis chinensis) with similar healing properties found in North America (Coptis trifolia) and Japan (Coptis japonica).
Here are 5 Key aspects about Coptis to inspire you to find out more about this amazing herb!
- It is used as a substitute for goldenseal
- Similar to barberry, phellodendron, Oregon Grape, and a few other herbs, coptis contains the powerful healing compound berberine, known for its antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Coptis root can be eaten raw and is often chewed to help heal canker and mouth sores. (Hence, one of its common names canker root)
- An old saying says Coptis is so bitter that it will make your eyes water! You can in fact, use coptis to heal sore, inflamed eyes.
- Coptis can stop bleeding caused Heat. This includes nosebleeds and bleeding due to high fevers causing bloody diarrhea, vomit, or blood in the urine.
Coptis is an important herb with many applications. Find out more about Coptis (Huang Lian).